About Nexus for Development
Nexus is a key network and finance partner working to make low-carbon clean energy and WASH solutions count toward the Global Goals. We are based in Southeast Asia and collaborate with partners around the world to create and deploy innovative financing tools to scale locally-driven solutions.
A diverse range of organizations are improving people’s lives in the face of poverty and climate change. At Nexus, we connect award-winning organizations with world-leading businesses, donors and investors, inspiring and funding change that maximizes sustainable development outcomes.
At Nexus we support continuous learning and professional development, offering a robust in-house knowledge base on carbon finance, footprinting, fund management, innovative finance, sustainable development, networking, capacity-building and sustainability strategy.
Since being formed in 2009 by an alliance of development organizations, our expertise has evolved to offer a range of technical and financial services that support the growth and impact of our members and partners. Nexus currently has 20 members who are central to the work we do.
Nexus engages with several international actors:
- Development practitioners (Social enterprises, NGOs)
- Private sectors companies and corporates, investors and donors
- Researchers, policy makers and international standards and associations
For more information, visit http://www.nexusfordevelopment.org/
Join our team!
Nexus seeks a Executive Director (ED) to be based in our office in Phnom Penh, Cambodia! The ED leads the Nexus team and is responsible for driving overall growth and organisational management. This role is central to both defining and implementing the membership strategy, identifying new opportunities for Nexus’ growth and ensuring that the organization stays true to its core mission and values.
Over the past 4 years, Nexus has worked to grow and strengthen its expertise and core activities. Our funding base has shifted from a fully subsidized model to increased reliance on revenue generating activities. The ED will be overall responsible for ensuring that grant funding and business development activities are targeted in support of current activities and future projects are designed to contribute to Nexus financial sustainability.
The ED will be responsible for continuing to grow and develop Nexus’ revenue generating services in the following areas:
· financing facilities for clean energy, clean water and sanitation solutions
· technical assistance for carbon certification
· carbon asset management
In addition to supporting growth in revenue generating services, the Executive Director will also be tasked in business development and fundraising for Nexus’ other core activities; With particular focus on promoting knowledge sharing, increased communication and networking between Nexus members, finance partners and other relevant actors.
The ED reports to the Board of Directors which is comprised of individuals representing both Nexus’ members and external organizations. The ED also sits on the Board of Directors of the Pioneer Facility, a debt fund launched by Nexus in 2017 that provides finance to social businesses that address climate change by supplying sustainable, affordable energy, water and sanitation solutions.
1) Drives overall Secretariat and Organisational strategy and growth;
· Identifies new opportunities for Nexus growth and designs appropriate strategies in collaboration with senior leaders and representatives from member organizations.
· Leads on fundraising, in close collaboration with the Business Development and Programs team, for the different activities and funds managed by Nexus.
· Grows Nexus’ role as a facilitator and ‘connector’ between entrepreneurs and financiers (donors, impact investors, corporates…).
· Provides strategic leadership and positions Nexus to further develop innovative financing schemes.
· Proactively builds strategic relationships and networks with donors, investors and key partners.
· Promotes Nexus at high profile events to potential new partners and funders.
2) Provides strong organisational and people management to foster team collaboration and communication;
· Leads by example by perpetuating Nexus’ values, mission and reputation for quality and delivering impact.
· Oversees the leadership team to define the resources and structure needed for Nexus to drive its mission. The leadership team includes the Program Management Director, the Business Development Director and the Finance and Administration Manager.
· Manages Nexus’ organizational budget with the Finance and Administration Manager to ensure that the Board receives monthly and quarterly financial reports.
· Provides strategic leadership regarding HR, organizational policy, change management and organizational strengthening.
· Communicates with Nexus’ corporate secretary to ensure compliance with Singapore corporate requirements.
· Leads on strategic decisions to ensure they are made in a collaborative, efficient, and transparent manner and ensurs that Nexus resources are used responsibly in service of the organization’s mission.
· Champions Nexus’ vision and mission by engaging with member organizations, networks and partners to understand their needs and inform relevant parties of existing and new activities, Nexus updates etc.
45 -50k USD per annum (circa 12-13% taxation; benefiting from local competitive cost of living). 40 days of annual leave including public holidays. Training allowance. Annual flight home provided for international staff per year of work. Visa, work Group Person Accident insurance and travel insurance provided.
· Minimum 6 years of professional experience in corporate finance, business development, and organizational management. Experience in the renewable energy, climate change mitigation or adaptation, WASH, and or development preferred.
· Experienced leader with the ability to manage a small dynamic and high performing multicultural team with some remote workers.
· Experience interpreting financial data and budgeting to drive corporate strategic thinking and direction, and support investment management activities.
· Previous business development (concept notes, proposal development, pitch and networking) experience.
· Positive track record of delivering significant fundraising results.
· Demonstrated experience in the development and execution of strategies and business plans.
· Experience ensuring smooth and transparent communication across multiple stakeholder groups at a mid to senior level (Nexus team, members, board members, donors, investors) and understanding of how to convey complex messages in a simple yet accurate way.
· Familiar with the challenges and opportunities in climate and development sectors. The ideal candidate will have an established network of contacts in development agencies, private foundations, impact investors and development organizations.
· Impact and mission driven; demonstrated commitment to delivering high value and quality work.
· Previous experience living and working internationally with an appreciation for multicultural teams strongly preferred, experience in South East Asia a plus.
· Proactive and solutions oriented with a positive attitude and proven adaptability and ability to work under deadlines and pressure.
· Passion to remain at the forefront of sustainable development funding.
· Fluency in written and spoken English required, additional language skills in French, Khmer, Chinese or other relevant language a plus.
To apply, please submit a CV and detailed cover letter to email@example.com with the subject “Application to Executive Director role”. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the 17th of September 2018. Apply early as applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
In your cover letter please explain why you are well prepared to take on the responsibilities of this position, and what opportunities, challenges and strategies you envisage for Nexus in the current context.
Please note that only complete applications that address the above-mentioned responsibilities, opportunities and challenges in their application submission will be considered.