Through various debt financing vehicles, each with unique mandates, Nexus supports the adoption of low-carbon solutions in the sustainable (and access to) energy, clean water, and improved sanitation sectors across Southeast Asia. We support the scaling-up of early to growth stage enterprises that deliver positive impacts to both the environment and their communities by providing easy access to affordable, unsecured debt, typically inaccessible to SMEs in emerging markets.
Nexus seeks a dynamic and driven Head of Funds to manage, improve, renew and grow its portfolio of innovative impact and pilot funds, with a focus on Nexus’ largest fund, the Pioneer Facility (see our funds summary). The Head of Fund’s role is four-fold: 1) deal cycle management, 2) reporting and administration, 3) relationship management, and 4) strategy ideation and business development.
The Head of Funds reports to the Executive Director and the fund(s)’ BoD(s) and will be supported by an investment analyst as well as with the operations team on reporting and post-investment monitoring. The selected candidate will play a significant role in shaping the future of Nexus’ funds and the implementation of our alternative financing schemes.
DEAL CYCLE MANAGEMENT
- Targeting: Identify relevant investment and networking opportunities that fit fund investment criteria, with a focus on investments for the Pioneer Facility
- Origination: Through active sourcing and developed leads, assessment and pre-qualification of potential investees. The Head of Funds is expected to be able to conduct preliminary risk assessments independently.
- Due Diligence: Lead the financial due diligence on projects sourced for the various funds. Work with support of the investment analyst to deliver full due diligence reports to be presented to the relevant Investment Committee for approval.
- Contracting and Documentation: Negotiate loan contracts with investees
- Portfolio Management: Work with the operations team to ensure timely payments and report submissions
- Standardization of Processes: Continuously review existing processes and relevant forms and templates to ensure that risks are properly flagged and mitigated, payments are on time, and deals progress as efficiently as possible
- Risk Management: Resolve issues with specific deals in a timely manner as and when they occur
- Skills Development: Share best practices and financial knowledge with the funds team and encourage skills and knowledge sharing within the team
REPORTING AND ADMINISTRATION
- Regular Reporting: Work with the funds and operations teams on quarterly and annual reporting requirements to investors and donors. Analyse portfolio performance and share results and findings with the team.
- Other Reporting Requirements: Coordinate with the Pioneer Facility auditors, administrator, lawyers and bankers
Grow Nexus’ network of potential investees, co-financiers, and funders, with a focus on pipeline development and fundraising for the Pioneer Facility
- Investment Committees: Liaise with the ICs of Nexus’ various funds not only on specific investments but also on fund strategy, opportunities and challenges
- Pipeline Development: Promote the Pioneer Facility and Nexus’ other activities via different avenues including active outreach to impactful, commercially-viable enterprises and expanding Nexus’ network of potential co-investors and financing partners
- Fundraising: Actively identify potential investors or funding opportunities for the Pioneer Facility and coordinate with Nexus colleagues on business development and fundraising efforts. Coordinate on fundraising efforts for the Pioneer Facility.
STRATEGY IDEATION AND BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT
Ensure that the financial products we offer best suit the needs of both Nexus’ target sectors and potential funders
- Pioneer Facility Strategy: Work to finalise and implement the Pioneer Facility’s revised strategy. The Head of Funds is expected to take ownership of the fund financial model and should be able to confidently run various scenarios.
- Funds KPIs: Take charge of finance and impact KPI setting for the various funds and assist the funds team in setting and achieving their own individual targets. Ensure that activities within the funds team align with Nexus’ overall objectives.
- Business Development: Stay updated on sectoral trends and new financing mechanisms in the region. Proactively search for new opportunities (funds, investments, partners) that align with Nexus’ mission and overall objectives.
THE OPPORTUNITY OFFERS
- Wide-ranging experience in a flexible and dynamic environment.
- Exposure to impactful enterprises, VCs and other early-stage and/or impact investors, and development partners in Asia
- Opportunity to guide an impact fund and help promising, young enterprises to navigate through “grow-up” financing
- Role Title: Head of Funds
- Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia; travel envisioned in the future.
- Reporting to: Executive Director
- Resource persons: Finance and Administration Manager; Investment Analyst
- Term: Unspecified duration, contract under Cambodian law. Nexus requests a two-year commitment.
- Remuneration package: 28 – 33K USD per annum depending on profile and experience (subject to approximately 10-15% taxation; and benefiting from local competitive cost of living). Small family contribution (if applicable). Training and relocation benefits. Annual flight home provided for international staff.
Competitive candidates will have:
- A degree in finance, business management, economics or a related field. MBA or CFA is an asset.
- Strong interest in impact investing. Current on available financing mechanisms and current trends in development finance and start-up investing.
- At least 5 years’ experience in investment analysis and corporate finance, preferably from a fund or bank, or fundraising for early-stage start-ups in emerging and frontier markets
- Proven ability to take deals through the full investment cycle – origination, due diligence, structuring, contracting, and post-investment management
- Strong financial modelling skills – able to independently build, review, and stress-test models and explain key results
- Demonstrated experience in project management. Detail-oriented with high standard of performance.
- Track record of business development and relationship management, ideally with an established network in Asia
- Self-motivated, driven, and able to work effectively with a high degree of autonomy in a lean, start-up environment
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills – able to confidently work with a multi-disciplinary and impact-driven team and liaise with investees and co-investors
- Fluent in English, both verbal and written. Knowledge of other languages an asset.
Please submit your application here. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until January 3, 2022. Early applications are encouraged.
Please note that only applications addressing the above-mentioned responsibilities, opportunities and challenges will be considered.